Dreaming about becoming a Lean Six Sigma Green belt Professional? Are you struggling with the assistance that how to prepare? Not to worry as we are here to help you with it. It is no doubt that Six Sigma certification is the most popular modern certification program available in the Project management field.
These professionals play an imperative role in big companies. They are involved in problem-solution-based work that aims to reduce defects or to eliminate unnecessary steps. But, what are these defects? Basically, it can be defined as anything which does not meet the client’s requirement.
According to research, it has been found that after the implementation of the six sigma rules the resulting product consists of 3.4 less defects per ten lakh opportunities. The rules or the principals involved are:
- DMAIC – Define, Measure, Analyze, Improvise and Control
- DMADV – Define, Measure, Analyze, Define and Verify
Before, getting deep into the study section let’s get familiar with the content that who can choose this certification program.
Who can opt for this Certification Program?
The Qualified Six Sigma Green belt is a practitioner who can explain, including supportive structures and methods, Six Sigma theories, and values. A Green belt should exhibit team leadership, recognize team dynamics, and delegate tasks and duties to team members.
In compliance with the ideals of Six Sigma, green belts have a detailed knowledge of all facets of the identifying, calculating, evaluating, developing, and regulating model. They have a basic understanding of lean business principles, can recognize tools & components and events that are not value-added, and can use specialized resources.
This certification will particularly be helpful for the following peoples:
- Project Managers
- Management Students
- Software Professionals
- Team Leaders
- Quality Assurance Engineers
Now let’s talk about the requirements needed to sign-up for the certification program. Applicants must have experience of a paying, full-time job. Paying internal, co-op, or some other course work should not be added to the criterion of work experience.
One needs to complete two projects with signed affidavits to apply for Six Sigma Green belt certification. As a second option, with a signed affidavit, the candidate can produce one project and prove that the candidate has years of work experience in at least one Six Sigma area.
Exam Details to Note
If you are going to appear for an exam you should know the basic information about it. Hence, the following information will help you to know the same.
- Exam Duration– Four Hours. Try to reach 30 minutes before the exam time or you will be not allowed to attempt the examination.
- The pattern of Examination – The examination pattern consists of MCQ’s and True/False.
- Number of Questions – There will be 150 Questions to be attempted.
- Open Book – It is an examination of the open-book style. While taking the test, we recommend the use of the free Self-Study Guide offered by the Council for Six Sigma Certification, which you will have 4 hours to complete.
- Method of Examination – Can be taken online or offline.
- Examination Assessment Fee – 48,579.11 Rupees. This will include the project review fee.
- Attempts – The candidate will be allowed 3 attempts. If the candidate fails all three attempts he or she will have to pay the exam assessment fees again to appear for the examination.
- Qualifying Time Duration – After paying the fees the student will have a year to complete the examination.
- Qualifying criteria – The person should at least score 540 points out of 600 points to be qualified which is 90%.
However, before enrolling in the certification you will need to know that what the areas of knowledge a person should have are. But, before applying for examination a Six Sigma Green belt trained person should be able to apply the ideals of Six Sigma to achieve experience of the following areas:
- Project management activities related to project selection, management of money, financial management, management of the transition, etc.
- Utilization of Plan, Do, Check, Act Methodology often known as PDCA methodology
- Getting familiar with TRIZ (Theory of Inventive Problem Solving Insights)
- Leadership Skills regarding project management
- Data Analytical tools
- To learn FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis)
These were the areas where a green belt six sigma trained person should have knowledge in. Now let’s see some of the topics included in this certification course.
A few names of the topics are given below which are included in the lean six sigma black certification courses.
- Customer Expectations: USL and LSL.
- Process Design and Improvement.
- Non-parametric Statistics.
- Sampling and Process Control.
- Basic Control Charts.
- Risk Mitigation.
- Advanced Control Charts.
- Hypothesis Testing.
- Design of Experiments.
How to Prepare?
Preparing for any exam requires sheer concentration and planning same is for this certification too. As we know Time is money. Hence, we should start by planning our time wisely. You can spend about 1-2 hours every weekday if you are willing to give the exam in the next two months. You can however extend your time around 4 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. If you have enough time for an examination, 1 hour of daily study is sufficient.
You will need some reference books and training to learn from. After all, there are many books available but there are a few we did like to mention:
- The Certified Six Sigma Green belt Primer – Bill Wortman
- Become Six Sigma Certified Professional by Vinsys
- Third Edition of The Certified Six Sigma Green belt Handbook – T.M. Kubiak and Donald W. Benbow
- The Six Sigma Handbook by Thomas Pyzdek (McGraw – Hill)
Candidates should study for the exam in the official training centers, where qualified experts will be trained. Study guides and mock papers are also given on the official Six Sigma website. Note that practice courses and training classes are strongly recommended, but not required.
After all the tiring preparation what do we get from this? Yes, the most important part has arrived salary . Many of the most sought-after practitioners in the world are Accredited Six Sigma Lean Green belts. Green belts receive an average of $126,551 a year, based on statistics from Indeed. For those who have appropriate Six Sigma expertise to go along with their certification, this number could be higher.
In the Nutshell
In the Nutshell, one can conclude that the gain is definitely more than the investment. So, what are you waiting for? Go get your green belt six sigma certification program enrolled.